As I am constantly evaluating my plans and supplies, I prioritize and try to shore up deficiencies. This week was payday, so I had a little extra to spend. So this week:
- Bought a retractable blade sharpener to use on serrated blades. The first 2 knives I bought for myself were a Gerber LMF II, and a Big Rock camp knife. Both have a section of serrated edges and I wanted something to be able to keep them sharp. All my subsequent purchases are for straight-edge knives. Much easier to maintain.
- Purchased a good quality stainless steel water bottle. This is not one of those you pick up at the corner drug store for $5, but a high gauge steel one of the type you see recommended by Dave Canterbury and his 10 C’s of survival.
- Ordered my first bottle of fish antibiotics to keep in the freezer.
- Received my messenger bag that I ordered from survivalbags.com. I am putting together a kit based on the 10 C’s to always have with me. Sort of a combination get home bag with long-term capabilities if necessary. This is entirely different from a bug-out bag but could be used as one if necessary.
- Went to local army navy surplus and was able to do some dickering. They had just received a shipment of genuine US military ponchos. Got an excellent deal on a poncho, poncho liner, and parachord.
- Picked up a 3 more bags of split peas and other beans and a huge container of chicken bullion.
- Found a couple of food grade plastic buckets with o-ring lids outside of one of the local adult day care businesses. All I had to do was ask and they let me have them.
Not a bad week as I was able to fill in some holes in my plans.