Been a busy and productive week this week. I continue to work my plan and fill as many of the holes as I can, slowly and steadily. With what I accomplished this week, with the exception of food stores and creating a sustainable food supply, I am finally starting to feel a little better about my chances if shtf.
I went to the local gun show this week. I was really surprised by the number in attendance this time. It is the most that I have ever seen. The parking lot was just about full and it was wall to wall on the inside. I spent about 4 hours there and there never seemed to be a lull in the attendance. I guess it is a sign of the times. I had no intention of buying a firearm, but there were some very good deals, maybe next time. My main purpose was to purchase ammunition and holsters. There is a regional ammunition company that always has a booth and always has really good deals on ammo. I save up extra money just so I can buy it from these guys and they didn’t disappoint me this time as usual. The holster guy makes his own and they are offered at a reasonable price. I was also in the market for a couple of knives. I was looking for a K-Bar USMC fighting knife or equivalent and a folder with a 4-inch blade that I could wear on my belt. I was disappointed in the knife offerings, as I could find most things cheaper online, and the quality of the folders was not what I was looking for. It was also good in the sense that the wife didn’t really find anything that suited her fancy this time. We have not gone to a show together recently that she has not come away with something. If she’s not walking out of there with a new gun, it is a stun gun or something like that. I really thought the over-priced ferro rod guy had her at the first spark, but she surprised me and walked away.
As for the rest of the week:
- Purchased a more heavy-duty serrated knife sharpener
- Ordered one of the new Gerber Steadfast knives.
- Ordered a Deadwood stove. At some point, the propane will run out.
- Purchased used Swiss Camo Wet Weather Ponchos, one for each member of the family
- Purchased artificial sinew and assorted needles
- Purchased an additional heavy-duty stainless steel water bottle
- Purchased 2 extreme cold weather sleeping bags and 4 wool blankets.
- Stopped by WalMart early on Saturday morning to check prices on ammo on my way to the gun show and came upon a clearance basket. Got DelMonte spaghetti sauce for 40 cents per can, no dents and expires in 2014. I would rather be lucky than good any day.