Even thought I’ve been putting in 18 hour days at work for the past week, the time I have just been sitting and monitoring things at night have allowed me to make a few online orders. This week I ordered and received:
- Another 55 gallon water barrel. Will do a separate post on water later this week. Needless to say, this gets me to one of my intermediate goals.
- 2 more stainless steel cups with collapsible handles. I like to put this over the 1 quart metal water bottles or the 1 quart Nalgene bottles. The intent is to use these to boil water so I don’t blacken and ruin the stainless water bottles.
- Picked up 2 more 3600 calorie mainstay emergency bars. These go in the 72-hour kits.
- Picked up another wool blanket, this one for the wife’s car and get home kit.
- Began adding freeze-dried/canned items to the emergency pantry. Freeze dried strawberries, bananas, canned bacon, and cans of oat groats and wheat berries. I figure these are the things that I can put at the back of the pantry and forget about rotating for a while.
- Picked up a nice little outdoor first aid kit from Wal-Mart. I had been looking for a small well stocked one and this really fit the bill. It is an EcoSafety brand, with 123 pieces targeted specifically for the outdoors. The only problem is the case is a paper bag with reinforced webbing, so I doubt it will be totally water-proof. But the contents are outstanding.
All in all, a pretty good week. Since the crazy hours are over, I have lots of plan for the coming weeks. However, the NCAA tournament has started, and it could slow me down a little. You know the adage, all prepping and no play makes for no life. And if my team makes it to New Orleans, I will be there. On the positive side, it will give me an opportunity to assess my 72 hour bags and what will really work when I go away from home for a long weekend. Sounds like the makings of another post.